1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

FAL data in Fixture Shortcuts

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by roygbiv, Oct 31, 2015.

1. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

Hi guys

I finally got around to messing around with the Fixture Attribute Layout after I realised how much time I wasted doing the same Layout things again and again.

Now I made an empty file with my prefered Layer naming system, with shortcuts to the fixtures and truss, we have in stock and the paper layout I prefer. All good for now.

I added all my fixtures to the drawing and messed around with the Attribute Layouts and made FAL templates.

I then deleted my fixtures, so my drawing was empty and saved the file as a template.

-----

Now I needed to use the template, but when I put in the fixtures from the shortcuts, the FAL was back to defaults. Is it possible to add the FAL templates to the fixture shortcuts, so I don't have to mess around with this again and again?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

It is not possible to save FALs with Fixture Shortcuts--that is simply not how WYSIWYG works... You have two options though:

1. If you wish to use a WYSIWYG Template (i.e. .wyt) file, edit the fixtures' FALs at the "Library level": with the .wyt file open, find the necessary fixture in the Library browser, right-click on it, click Properties, and click Edit Layout in the window that appears. The FAL you create for this fixture in the next window will be in effect every time you insert this fixture in this file (or in any .wyg files based on this .wyt file), whether you insert the fixture from the Library Browser or from a Shortcut.

2. If you do not wish to depend on a .wyt file (or on the same .wyt file) every time you make a new .wyg file, you may edit fixtures' FAL at the "Application Level": in the WYSIWYG Welcome window, click the Options menu, click Browse Library, switch to the Fixture tab in the Library Browser, find the necessary fixture, right-click on it, click Properties, and click Edit Layout in the window that appears. The FAL that you create for this fixture in the next window will be saved with the application, and will be in effect every time you insert this fixture into new .wyg files which are not based on a template where a FAL was created for the same fixture. If you wish to carry such FALs to other WYSIWYG installations (i.e. on other computers) or into future versions of WYSIWYG, you may export them (all at the same time, not individually) to a WYSIWYG User Data (.wud) file.

For more information on how modifying fixture information at the "Application Level" and/or the "File Level" (and/or the "Fixture Level") please read through the Symbols section of the WYSIWYG Reference Guide. For information on using .wud files, please see the WYSIWYG User Data Profile section of the Reference Guide.

Cheers,

Dany

3. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

When they were first introduced I looked into the FAL templates, but I never use them for the following reason:
    - You create a fixture layout you are happy with, with let’s say a Parcan as the template fixture.
    - You apply it to a profile
    - You want to change the position of the colour label, because it is inside the fixture
    - Can’t do that.
    - Now you uncheck the use FAL template box, to be able to change the position. This gives you the result you want.
    - If you change anything to the template, the links to the fixtures will be broken.

So:
    I think that everything but the positioning should be saved into the templates
    or
    The positioning of the labels should be put into the example categories (ERS, Fresnel, motorised, 3 cell cyc) and fixtures should be given a layout categorie that is close to the examples so placement of the labels becomes predictable.