1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Fixture Library idea

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Floriaan, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

The fixture library is becoming a bit of a mess. Obviously the library is ever expanding and Cast is advertising with its vastness. The quality of some fixtures is very poor though. There are a lot of fixtures that are created on demand for customers that use those fixtures often in a very specific and limited way. Maybe just for simulation purposes in Design, just for the symbol in Presentation, just for whatever, and those fixtures are never fully tested by the persons who request them, let alone by Cast. I do not blame them, because it is impossible for them to have every single fixture on their desk and fully test them.
    This means that for us that use the perform version of wysiwyg, it becomes very hard to be sure, which fixtures are doing what they are supposed to do. I have so many examples of fixtures that tilt the wrong way around, have their colors off, shutters inverted, wholes in their dmx footprint that shouldn't be there, etc.,etc. All is solvable when you have the real rig up, but it defeats the purpose of pre programming a bit. (and it makes the name of the program untrue).

I helped Peter in the past by showing him photo's of what the fixture was doing in real life and what it was doing on my screen. I measured output and color and so we 'calibrated' the fixture in wyg.

My proposal is to introduce verified fixtures (blue checkmark?). Those are fixtures that are commonly used and checked by Cast (or some reliable other sources). With these fixtures you can be sure that shutter cuts are accurate, beam sizes, etc. etc.

tonyLR likes this.
  2. Jason Gardash

Jason Gardash Active Member

I like Floriaan have spent time with Peter to go over several fixtures over the years. Even spent an afternoon with him at my house troubleshooting one that just wasn't making sense to either of us.

I do agree with Floriaan that a quick simple visual method of know what is an verified profile from a placeholder fixture (what I call a fixture icon for cad mode)

I can be wrong but I recall hearing how to get an approved by wysiwyg fixture in the early days they had to have had the fixture in the office and tested. were talking release 3 era of wysiwyg if I recall; but could of been a story of they day.

Today that be almost impossible to do inhouse testing but I do like the idea of setting up a way to have the fixturers tested and approved. Much like how Grand Ma has an icon on their fixture share site to show if users have tested and found the profile to be true to fixture.

Floriaan likes this.