1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Fixtures Profile Macros

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Cormac, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Cormac

Cormac Member

Hi,
    Maybe others can offer advice or opinions.
    Obviously with so many fixtures becoming available on a weekly basis it's increasingly hard to keep up with fixture profiles/modes etc.
    I am not In any way complaining about library personality's being available or working correctly but in general fixtures not having the in-built macros present.
    Is there a way that it might be possible to spend a little more time on fixture personality's once they are written where they might slowly start to include the macros?
    It seems counter intuitive to have to go the effort of making libraries but not having the ability to use the fixture fully without seeing it onsite.

Thanks C

2. Jason Gardash

Jason Gardash Active Member

No to be blunt.. If your willing to send the actual fixture to the Cast Soft offices. wait a few weeks for the Library team to go thru the fixture and create a script to run said macro which may change if the fixture has a firmware update and then they would have to restart it again.
    now don't get me wrong I would love to have some sort of feature like this. but on my list of things I like the guys to focus on.. I rather wait and get other things done first.
    can't lie.. a Mac port of Wysiwyg and 64bit would be up there. but after that things like more cading options and larger video card memory usage be on my list.

It all comes down to the ability to get a hold of the fixtures to work with and make accurate. I have spent many hours and even a few office and house visits to get fixture profiles made. with a line of fixtures I work with often. went it comes to fixture profiles.. well its not like waiting for a hog4 profile (sorry guys but it is what it is) Peter and the guys can usually get a new fixture built in a day or two. and in my mind.. pre pro or a shop day is there to fine tune the feature that are not in the fixture. I still go in to the shop a head of time or after profiles are build to find the spin speeds I like or color chase speeds. and make notes or add to the fixture profile its self.

3. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

I think you have a fair point. Any 3d visualization program offers the fixture personality they can deduct from the manual, but in the past Cast was proud of the fact they actually had the real thing on their desk for the fixture profiles. I fully understand that this isn't possible anymore, given the sheer amount of fixtures out there, but it would be great to have a kind of super precise visualization for some of the most popular Moving lights.
    I am thinking about one or two VL's, a couple of Clay-Paky's, some Martin fixtures and the odd Robe.
    That would be really great.

4. Jason Gardash

Jason Gardash Active Member

Well sum it up this way.. in the near rental area for myself. I have Christie Lites which is a Martin rental house along with some Clay-Paky's and Elation. Then you have PRG which is a PRG/VL house. and for smaller cost shows I go to some local providers who have anything from Martin Rush line to the Elation Line or the Microh line of products.

Now for macro usage I be more incline to have the Rush line and Microh line macros built in as those are the shows I want to setup quickly; program and move on. partly due to cost and partly due to time.

I figure each manufacture line has roughly about 10 active fixtures per brand at any given time. so me alone I be looking at say 4 from each brand that I call the 'Popular' fixtures for this scenario. That's still 21 fixtures.
    This could cover say the North American market place. now lets add the UK - Robe,SGM sure few other I not aware of. so were now around 25 or so with just 2 market places Still have the Asian market, and sure a few others. Don't forget the turn around rate on fixtures is about 4- 6 years.

We could go back and forth on this but really in the end.. I think the best Cast could do would maybe create a mimic of say a color chase macro with speed minic control. however someone would need to sit down and make a dmx chart of the numbers and effects as this is often not listed in the dmx charts. Where in the macro does the slo to fast become fast to slo. and in the end you only have a mimic or very rough idea of what your actually getting in real life.

For me I update my fixture profiles on the desk to have quick selects or a rename of each macro. punch it in during my pre pro then while I'm going thru my pre set on setup day I tweak my saved pallet setting to what I really want.

As great as Wysiwyg and or Vivien may be.. you sometimes need to lean on other pieces of the tool box to help create the art your looking for. Cast is close to the one stop for all of design and pre pro. But even a one stop for all production house sometimes needs to cross rent from others to fulfill the specs of a show.