1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Light emitting surfaces RGBW

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Floriaan, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

With light emitting surfaces in Live mode, the W channel in RGBW-mode does not seem to do anything.

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Correct. This is actually described in the LED Wizard Notes on pages 676 and 680 of (the R45 version of) the Reference Guide. Agreed that the same note should be there in the Light Emission section of the Guide, and I apologize that it is not... I will have this amended in the R46 version of the Guide.

3. Floriaan

I do not understand why you should get out the manual to find out that a function that is there in the software does not work. Why not remove it from the software? If you can select only RGB there is no confusion. I suggest to remove RGBW and RGBA .

4. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for your suggestion, but we will not remove this from the software. If you have no use for anything other than RGB, please simply ignore the other options and don't let them bother you.

As explained in the same Note (please read it if you haven't), this is done for patching purposes: if the Light Emitting object (or LED Wall) is meant to represent an RGBW fixture (or anything else "beyond RGB") it will be impossible to patch it such that it simulates correctly in -- I won't bother to explain why because you already know. Instead, our goal here is to add the ability to actually simulate "W", "A" and other 'special' LED pixel colours (like Indigo, Lime, etc.) and then the solution is even simpler: we'll just remove the Note from the manual. This should be coming along with a feature that I've already fully-planned for next year, hopefully in R47.

5. Floriaan

You can expect users to open the dropdown menu (and expect the thing the item suggest), but a lot less users to reach page 676 of the manual. The software should be self explanatory, without having to reach for the manual too often.
    Having said that, here is a proposed solution for as long as you haven't added those extra colors in simulation. In fixtures from the library you get a pop-up after you insert the fixture telling you that certain functions are not simulated. Maybe you could do it like this?

6. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks again Floriaan. Popping a warning for something like this will probably get annoying (even if we add a "don't show again" checkbox, so we'll add a note right in the dialog instead.

Cheers,

Dany