1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Maximum subtracted items?

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by GreenLight Designs, Feb 5, 2020.

1. GreenLight Designs

GreenLight Designs New Member

I'm working on an event in a large historic warehouse, and I'm trying to build the exterior walls with windows, using the subtract tool to cut out the window openings from a solid which is the wall. After a few windows, it gives me an error that "Boolean Operation Failed!" Is there a good workaround for this? As the event is happening during the day I'd like to use the time of day function with window openings to show the sun coming in.

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

There is really no reason for you to create all that unnecessary geometry that naturally results from Boolean Subtract operations.... use an Alpha texture instead.

3. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

Well, actually there is. If you need to create an accurate plot (e.g. side view with all the windows showing), you want all the openings in place.
    Unfortunately the best advice is to draw this in another CAD program and import as a set piece.
    You can try the following though. Try to do the Boolean operations on a 2d surface and then when you are done, extrude the surface. This lets you do a few more Boolean operations before wyg crashes in my experience. In any case save your work before each new Boolean operation, just to be sure.

4. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Good point. Plotting wasn't mentioned though, so I didn't think of that. If this is indeed what's desired/needed doing this in SketchUp or some other 3D modeller and importing that is indeed the way go -- great idea!

However, if actual cutouts are not absolutely needed, what I suggested would also work -- and geometry is still kept to a minimum: since the most accurate to create the alpha texture I mentioned is to capture a screenshot from wysiwyg and use that as the "base" for the texture, you have to draw the "windows" using Lines or the Rectangle tool anyway, so just leave them in there... What I mean is:

1. Draw the venue or wall with the window shapes (but not actually "cut out"):

upload_2020-2-11_13-0-1.png

2. Grab the screenshot from the appropriate view -- i.e. Left/Right/Front/Back. (This is better done in the full Wireframe, to get better resolution):

upload_2020-2-11_13-2-0.png

3. Paste this into Paint.NET, (invert the colours,) then use the Magic Wand to select inside each "window" and delete in order to get an image like the following:

upload_2020-2-11_13-8-15.png

4. Import this image into your .wyg file and apply it to the wall in question:

upload_2020-2-11_13-23-28.png

(For this last screenshot, I enabled Time of Day Lighting in the Shaded View, so you can see the sun streaming through the windows. I also activated Ambient Occlusion in order to minimize the unfortunate visual artifact caused by ToD in corners, i.e. the bright lines that appear there -- most noticeable above in the upper right and bottom right of the Shaded View.)

Hth,

D.

Attached Files:

MoffeLoffe likes this.