1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Missing import options

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by Floriaan, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

Although we have an excellent selection of fileformats that can imported into Wysiwyg, there are a few that I would like to see.
    - Vectorworks is high on the list (also export to Vectorworks could be really useful)
    - 3d Autocad that include .pat textures
    - Rhino

I want to make this list into a poll as soon as others add more items to the list.

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Floriaan,

Since we added the ability to import glTF files in R44, we have no current plans to add more file formats. That is not to say that we will not, but we also cannot be expected to just keep adding them. We are not 3D file format conversion experts. I understand that it is more convenient to import directly into wysiwyg instead of using a 3D converter such as AccuTrans 3D or many others, but on occasion, you will have to. No 3D CAD or modelling software out there is able to import more than a couple of handfuls or so of file formats, so we all have to rely on these converters from time to time.

Cheers,

Dany

3. Floriaan

Hi Dany,
    Good for you to jump in. The links you mention are great. I will consider to use them next time I need to do an import. VectorWorks seems to be the missing player in all other 3D programs. This is a licensing issue, isn’t it?
    Is there any chance you will support the textures AutoCAD provides In the form of .pat files in the same folder? This is almost the same way Sketchup handles textures.

4. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Vectorworks is indeed missing, and it's definitely a licensing thing. I definitely understand the desire/need, so I will try to look into it some more, and let you know what I find.

As for importing textures from .dwg files, I've just asked Soft. Dev. if this might be possible, so I'll write back once I hear from them.

Have a great lo... well, I was going to say "long weekend" but I guess these days all our weekends can be considered "long", eh? :confused: Damn virus...

Take care & stay safe,

Dany

5. Floriaan

6. Jason Gardash

Jason Gardash Active Member

I second with Floriaan request for the Vectorworks request.
    Seems nowadays more show site layouts and even lighting designs are on Vectorworks than in the past, and it be nice to have a import and export feature.
    But do hear you on the licensing issues.

Xavier78 likes this.
  7. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks @Jason Gardash I completely understand. We will have an internal discussion about this as soon as possible; it's a fairly delicate issue as we all said, so we'll see where this goes. If I have any updates, I will post them here.

As for importing DWGs with textures, I recall this question being asked only a handful of times over the years, which leads me to believe that it such DWGs are not all that common in our industry. Allowing these to import would be a rather large project, so considering how seldom it would be used (based on the aforementioned small number of requests) we will not pursue the feature -- unless there's a surge in requests for it. What we should be able to do however, is provide a procedure for how to convert a DWG file that contains textures into another type of file, which can be imported into wysiwyg (complete with textures, of course).