1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Move / Rotate / (Scale) tools in shaded view

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Jesperspier, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Jesperspier

Jesperspier Member

The more other software I use, the more I miss Move, Rotate and Scale tools. I understand that the Scale tool may be less useful because much of it is not scalable. But a Move and Rotate tool in the shaded view would be very nice. Especially with adjustable move and rotation steps, it would often make the workflow much faster.
    I just want to select an item and pull it one way or another instead of selecting it and then selecting a 2D wireframe view and then applying a Move (or Rotate) function.

2. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

Hi Jesper, can you explain a bit better what is not possible? As far as I know it is possible to scale, move and rotate. Also to do it in relative values and also you could select and then start movinf the item with the mouse without first hitting CTRL+M (you only have to grab the object exactly by a line. So what are you trying to do that isn't possible?

3. Jesperspier

Jesperspier Member

Hi Floriaan,
    I'm talking about the shaded view. I now see that it is only in the topic name and not in my post. I mean shaded view tools like in many other programs (see attachment for an example)

Attached Files:

4. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

Sorry, my mistake. I didn't read the post title. What you propose sounds very powerful. On the other hand if you work in quad view, it is almost as good in my opinion.

I see shaded views as a place to see and to manipulate light and fixtures, not objects. Also Wyg must be careful not to become the proverbial master of none, by adding too many features.

5. Jesperspier

Jesperspier Member

I agree that too many tools are not desirable either. After all, it is not a modeling program. But during the design process I often find it convenient to be able to move objects a bit, which would be really more convenient in 3d.
    Let them at least make (next to the "Position Tool") make a rotation and scale tool. It's possible to "Reset Rotation" and "Reset Scale" so the program need to know relative rotation and scale values. Making a tool who can read and send new values to an object should be not that hard to make?!