1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

New Wysiwyg Machine

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by CTMEvents, Mar 7, 2015.

1. CTMEvents

CTMEvents New Member

We are building a new wysiwyg desktop but only want to spend about £400 on it. At the moment what are the best components to go for to run Wysiwyg from? The cost does not need to include any accessories or monitors. The machine will primarily be used only for Wysiwyg and maybe AutoCAD. We hold R34 licenses.

Thanks.

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi there,

I honestly do not think that you can get the right kind of hardware to run WYSIWYG for this amount. (While I am not familiar with hardware prices in England, a quick look at amazon.co.uk seems to indicate that a recent "Haswell" Intel Core i5 CPU--which is about the minimum recommended CPU unless you are using WYSIWYG Report--is priced at just under £200, so I believe you will be hard-pressed to find a suitable motherboard, RAM kit and video card for another £200 altogether.)

For information To learn about what the right kind of hardware to use in a WYSIWYG workstation for your purposes, I strongly recommend that you read our Hardware Guide, which is available at http://www.cast-soft.com/wysiwyg/tip/view/selecting-hardware-for-a-wysiwyg-workstation. After reading through this article, you may also wish to browse the following thread on here, for more information about specific components that we currently recommend for WYSIWYG workstations: http://forums.cast-soft.com/index.php?threads/spec-run-through.430/#post-1146. How complex are the shows that you typically use WYSIWYG for? How many and what type of fixtures do you typically use?

Cheers,

#2 Dany, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2016