1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Positioning Fixture attribute

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by vanLeest, Mar 3, 2021.

1. vanLeest

vanLeest New Member

It's possible to create and modify the layout for the Fixtures attribute using the FAL manager.
    But a.e. when 2 fixtures are positioned close to each other this information like Spot number, patch fall over each other.

It would be great when you have the possibility in CAD mode to drag and drop this fixture attributes to an other position so it's readable without losing the link to the fixture.

Is there already a solution for this or is it possible to create this?

2. Jesperspier

Jesperspier Member

It would be great if the Fixtures attribute could be moved in CAD mode. That would save a lot of time. However, I am afraid that this will be difficult to make. But perhaps a programmer thinks otherwise. The idea gets a "Like" from me!

3. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

You can already do this in the New Plots. So you create a view of the stage in a New Plot and then you insert this New Plot into a Layout. In New Plots you can drag the fixture attributes of individual fixtures. If you need to do more then one in the same way, it is more efficient to do this in CAD view and edit the fixtures layout there.

4. Jesperspier

Jesperspier Member

True, but i never use this way (New Plot) because most of the time i make a lot different plots with the same fixtures present what makes this workflow extreem inefficient... So a same workflow as in "New Plot" but then in CAD would be more then great. But there are a lot of thinks to improve, and this one is not on my top priority list ;)

5. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

It would indeed take quite a while to move the New Plots functionality to CAD mode, and (to sort of echo what @Jesperspier wrote) I do not feel like working on this is worthwhile -- not when there are so many other much more urgent features and improvements to add.

NewPlots were created back in R10 (September 2004) and were born out of the exact need that @vanLeest described above. The "thinking" behind the feature was that such precise placement would only be required for printed plots (in 2004 printed plots were very much a "thing" :eek:), and this is what resulted in the Wireframe - New Plots dichotomy that still exists today. The GOOD thing, though, is that there is no need to have parity between the attributes that appear in one view and the other, so the best way to handle or think of this is to ask yourself: What fixture information do you NEED to see in a Wireframe, i.e. while you are using that wireframe? Or, conversely, what do you need to see on a printed plot? (Printed to PDF of course -- let's not forget to be green! :D) Once you've determined this, unless you are working on an extremely 'tight' plot, it should be possible to position the Attributes such that most do not overlap.

Please remember also, that it IS possible to edit a single fixture's Attribute layout (its "FAL") in Wireframes: simply select the fixture in question and hit <A>. This brings up the FAL window "focused" on the selected fixture, so any changes you make to the layout will only apply to this fixture, as long as you do not change the options at the top (which you do not need to touch for such edits anyway). I understand that working in a different window is not ideal, but if generic fixture attributes are set up properly (by using FAL Templates, if you wish) this should not be required often, and if it is, selecting a fixture and hitting <A> takes much less than the only option that was available back in R23 and earlier, which was to go to the fixture's Properties, click the Fixture tab, click the Edit Layout button (it's still there), make your changes, and then back out of the dialogs.

Hth,

Dany

Jesperspier likes this.
  6. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

That was a very good answer! Thanks! I completely agree. To add one thing: while working in CAD mode I often work in a quad view with four wireframes (plan, left, front and iso) to see around the other fixtures that are hung above each other.

A request (which would make it also easier to print) would be to have the fixtures attributes also visible in iso view. The labels could be oriented according to the workpane setting (plan, elevation or section).

My last comment: Don’t keep your best features hidden so well! Hitting the A for editing layouts! OMG! I have these release notes under my pillow and I did not know! Bring back “tip of the day” pop-ups immediately! Or Clippy!

DrewAVM and Jesperspier like this.