1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Power calculations

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by roygbiv, Oct 31, 2015.

1. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

Apart from designing my rigs, I also use wyg to make the paperwork for my fellow technicians.
    However, I need tools for phase distributions in my Power Distribution Units, and I imagine you could "Create Dimmer/PDU" and map the internal phase distribution (as some use 112233 and some use 123123, and others again combine two 6-circuits like 111122/223333).
    After the mapping, the circuits could be assigned the different created Dimmers/PDUs.

I see myself exporting the datasheet to my custom excel power calc sheet every time, I have a big job coming up. Then in order to make the phases even out and figuring out how many 63A/125A/400A-supplies I need from the venue, I have to go back in my WYG and change the circuit numbers.
    This is tedious work and seem like a waste of time, when some of the excel power is already a part WYG.

I would be happy to share my excel sheets and thoughts with CAST if you need inspiration :)

Also, it's not all amperages on the fixtures in the library, that are correct - I would love it to be possible to edit.
    Also Also, did you think about making Circuit breakout symbols, with Circuit name (and maybe even a way to "automatically" calculate (/or manually write) multicable length from Dimmer world)?

Same thing actually goes for a weight perspective - both that the calculation tools are lacking, and that a lot in the truss library weighs 0 kg.

In a dream world, cable lengths and voltage drops could be calculated, but one thing at a time :)

Thanks in advance!

2. ben

ben Active Member

any answer ?

3. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

Not really, but I expect it has been added to the list for R50 ;)

Just kidding - when I wrote the suggestion to CAST I sent them this draft for a DIMMER / POWER DISTRO Wizard.
    What do you think - and what do you do with power and phase calculations?

Attached Files:

ben likes this.
  4. Dino

Dino Dino Mazza | VP, Product | CAST Software

To be honest, I was hoping sooner than R50...
    This will be a great feature, and one that would definitely help out many users, there is no debate here.

Looking at its requirements, there are some pre-requisites that would need to be developed beforehand, and then there is work in Spreadsheets and Reports, and of course the creation of the Wizard and updates to Quick Tools and other power logic. It's a large feature and one that requires time, and with all of the other feature work that was started for R37 since January, including some updates to our Spreadsheets and Reports, introducing this additional work now was not the ideal time.

Yes, it's on our list, along with OBJ Export and many other great features... Obviously all cannot be worked on simultaneously, but we do our best to deliver new features with every release that make your work easier for everyone. We may not get everyone's top requests each time...

Thanks for sharing your design ideas and spreadsheets. When we are ready to tackle this feature you will be consulted, as your insights will definitely be helpful.

Cheers,
    Dino

ben likes this.
  5. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

I'm long overdue for a trip to Canada (one of my best friends moved to Edmonton (not really in your neighborhood but closer than Denmark)), so if you need me in person, I'll be happy to help ;)

ben likes this.
  6. ben

ben Active Member

Interesting discussion !!! Nice :-D

7. Alex Quint-Pugsley

Alex Quint-Pugsley New Member

I'm bumping this thread from years ago because I've been looking for a similar feature in reports. Is it possible to have a column that you can manually edit? This would at least help organize your load balance as per the system you're using. Quite frankly I'm surprised that this hasn't been a part of the program, given how paramount it is to the production.

Out of curiosity, how do you folks tend to organize phase balancing while using WYG to design your shows? Do you mostly whip up an excel file or other external program to calculate everything?

I'm still quite a newbie to the program so I may be missing something major.

-Alex QP

8. ShaunC

ShaunC Member

Reports aren't really a thing you can Edit, most editing is done under the Data Module.

Our system tech's use an impressive Excel sheet, lots of VBA and Conditional Formatting but works really well once setup.
    Page of fixture list with real world power draws, you can update the voltage for all the power calcs.
    Big Patching Page where you assign fixtures to Socapex Multi (id them with A1, A2 etc FL1), then assign those circuits to e.g Rack #1 Ch#3
    That becomes your system paperwork for people cabling up trusses. It feeds another list with Rack Layouts which can be printed and put on the racks.
    Options for racks that Alternate Phase per channel, and 12-pack racks that run 4ch groups 1-4=phase1. Also a Neutral Load Calc depending on how well you're balancing things.

We still use wyg for Spot Numbers, DMX Patch, and Rigging Points with Datum XY Data. But all the Weight Calcs are done in separate programs including another Excel Weight Calc file.

9. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

Which is a pity...

10. ShaunC

ShaunC Member

Mainly a pity because there isn't really a software package tailor-made for Lighting Rig Power Calculations. I'm sure there are hundreds of Excel Sheets which either companies or contractors have created for themselves.

At the moment, unless you know someone willing to give you their worksheet, you need a good understanding of LX Systems, and then have to build your own. Excel is the most accessible and quick'n'easy (gui = spreadsheet, code = formulas) but doesn't scale well when you overload it. It could be a PHP Page, or Python coded program (or any equivalent language). Quite a steep learning curve and takes a lot of time to make your own 'program'. We're probably all making the same thing!

External programs mean you input a lot of the same data that you've already got in WYG . Double handling = more work = more chance for error. Would be nice to have the feature integrated. The Fixture Data is there, things can be circuited already, it's just expanding on that to the dimmer/distro world, phases, neutrals and some good UI.

How many WYG users are straight up designers who don't care about power and circuits, and how many are on the practical delivery side who work that out every gig?

Weight distribution is a whole other topic which I won't get into on this thread.

11. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

Well, For me personally it would not be something I would do, as I am more of a designer. But it would be great to be able to hand over a wyg file to some one else, who can continue working on it (preferably as a cloud based collaboration).

12. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi guys,

We definitely recognize the need for wysiwyg to be able to do power calculations (much more than weight calculations), and understand how much of a shortcoming this is. We may be able to add some very basic stuff in R45, but if not, I'm really hoping that in R46 we'll be able to do much more (so hopefully some of those worksheets you guys mentioned can start to be used only for cross-checking or backup). :)

Cheers,

Dany