1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Presentation Mode

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks!' started by Cormac, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Cormac

Cormac Member

Hi,
    After using WYG for a while now I still find the presentation mode not hugely intuitive or friendly.
    Perhaps someone might offer some tips about how to create a reliable layout in this mode.
    I am aware everyone will have different layouts and requirements but I often spend a long time trying to get a decent layout.

-Question is there a way or perhaps in a future release the ability to same a "template" rather than having to start again with every new drawing.
    I understand it is possible to import bitmaps/jpegs/excel docs but having try and recreate and layout each element can be tricky or perhaps I am not doing this correctly or in the most
    straightforward way.

Regards Cormac

2. Gonzalocordova

Hi!
    I agree with you. Presentation mode is not easy to ride. And I have no good templates for this. I dont know if WYG want to make it better...

3. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Cormac and Gonzalo,

What you are looking to do is definitely possible, and has been, since Release 29, with the use of the Layout Groups feature. It is true that the name of this feature is not the most intuitive--and could therefore lead users to assume it is something else before even trying to see what it does--so we are renaming it to Layout Templates in the upcoming Release 33.

I believe the biggest issue with this feature (and why it is not widely-known) is that we somehow omitted to add an important bit to its description in the Reference Guide: the fact that once Layout Groups are created, they are available to use in all other files, new or old, that are opened on the computer where those Layout Groups were created. In addition, Layout Groups may be exported as part of WYSIWYG User Data Profiles (i.e. .WUD files), which of course means that once created, they can be moved to other computers and even "forward", to future WYSIWYG versions (installed onto the same and other machines); for the time being, you are limited to only being able to export or import ALL Layout Groups, but we are already considering adding the ability to export and import them individually. (Naturally, we will amend the omission in the WYSIWYG Release 33 Reference Guide.)

All this said, the Release 32 Reference Guide does provide all other necessary instructions for how to use Layout Groups/Templates, so please have a look in there (pages 443-444) and let me know if you have any further questions here.

Cheers,

Dany

4. Cormac

Cormac Member

Hi Dany,
    I'm testing this on R36.
    When i save a template and then try to use it in a new drawing on the same machine any item that is a worksheet from the previous template shows the text "data view-unbound".Images/legends show as expected
    Something simple I'm sure.

Thanks C

5. risitha

risitha Super Moderator

Hi Cormac,

You are most likely experiencing this issue because the new drawing doesn't contain the worksheet that the worksheet item from the template is referring to. If you go into the Item Properties of the worksheet item, you'll see that the Worksheet is set to None (in the Worksheet tab). You can change this to any worksheet that is available in the new file.

If you want to use the same worksheet that was in the old file when you created the layout template, you would have to export the Worksheet by going to File->Export->Worksheet (in PRES->Worksheets), then create a new worksheet in your new drawing and import the old worksheet. Then go into Item Properties of the Worksheet item (in PRES->Layouts) and select that worksheet.

Let me know if you have any other questions/concerns.

Regards,

Risitha

6. Cormac

Cormac Member

Hi Risitha,
    Appreciate the reply.
    Do you think it might in the future be possible to have a template that includes worksheets as part of the template?
    Having a template that won't include worksheets or an item that makes it a template seems like a wasted opportunity to speed up
    the workflow.

Thanks Cormac

7. ADK

ADK Member

Hi Cormac,

I know this is a way late reply, but I get around this by working with whole files saved as "templates". It's a bit unwieldy, but I find the tradeoff works for me. Once I get a file the way I like it, I'll clear out anything that won't carry over, and start my new file from there. That way I keep layouts and worksheets (or the one or two examples thereof that I use as "templates"), and fixture shortcuts, FALs, etc.

There might be a more sensible way to do it, but this has been working for me.

Hope that's helpful if you ever see it!

Cheers,
    A.