1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Report Templates

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by ADK, Sep 13, 2018.

1. ADK

ADK Member

Hi all,

Trying to export/import a report template. I've tried exporting it as a report, and as a template, and it doesn't appear anywhere when I try to import it later in the other file. What am I doing wrong?

Also is there any way to make the stock templates appear in alphabetical order? Searching through them is maddening.

Edit: I mean sort them alphabetically in the import popup sense. Sorting the shortcuts is no problem.

Thanks!

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi,

From your message, I don't know what you are attempting to accomplish with Report Templates... if you are looking to export a Report Template from file_A, import it into file_B and have a Report in file_B automatically populate with fixture data, this is not yet possible.

The use of Report Templates is described in the WYSIWYG Reference Guide, and, in my opinion, can be deduced from the wording in the title bar of the window that appears when the Import Report Template item is chosen from a Report's FILE menu: as per the screenshot below, this window's title bar displays Choose which Reports to import into, which, I believe, implies that something is going to be applied to the Reports that the user selects in the list. In other words, the user is being asked to choose to which Reports within the current file, to apply the Report Template that's about to be imported. Reading through the Guide reveals that Report Templates "carry" Reports' formatting (ie. font(s), text size(s), font style(s) such as bold, italic, and so on)… and THAT is what a Report Template will apply to the selected Reports.

(All that said though, I realize now that the Reference Guide could be a little more clear on this matter, so I will ask our technical writer to update this part of the Guide for the next version.)

In answer to your second question, it does indeed look like we missed to add the Sort Alphabetically button to this window, so it is not possible to sort them here. (The only way to re-order them is by Alphabetically-Sorting the Shortcuts themselves, and that sort will be reflected in this window.) I've just added a request for this button to be added though, so it should be there come R42.

Sorry for any trouble and/or misunderstandings that Report Templates have caused.

Cheers,

Dany

Attached Files:

3. ADK

ADK Member

Thanks Dany,

I was hoping to share report column settings between files, if that makes sense? As in: I create a report in file_A, say taking a stock spreadsheet and eliminating, adding, or reordering columns. I'd then like to use that same spreadsheet in file_B.

It sounds like that is not yet possible?

Cheers,
    A.

4. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

That is correct: it is not possible to "share" Reports between files. This is on our list of things to implement though; the current plan is to address this, along with a large number of other PRES mode deficiencies, for R43 (which is due next summer).

Thanks,

Dany