1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

some times some questions

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by ben, Mar 27, 2017.

1. ben

ben Active Member

Hello this is quiet time at the office for me, so it's question time. (I wright this post in the same time as I do all I don't have to do when it's speed at the office, so sorry if its not logic...)
    1. it isn't possible to create a library stuff with pipe in it ? Because I've draw a pantograph, and create it as insertable, but I would like to put in the library in order to have his weight, but with the pipe in it I can't...
    2. how can I manage my custom library ? (because I've 2 folders called "custom" ) and i'll be happy to put the SKP object in other folders as table, chair...
    3. When we create custom library items, why are you asking the weight, because it doesn't appear in the library report, or, maybe I miss something...
    4. I'm looking for the best way to create object in SKP and import it in wyg, but when I save it as component and import it, it become a library object and I ve only one point to snap it.... So is a way, as in SKP, to can grab it by intersection points ? and by this way be sure to put it as the right place...
    5. It will be good the can manage the insertable items with different folders... (I prefer using the insertable because I can create it with the snap points...
    6. Is a plan to copy paste texture ?
    7. Can we show hatch line on a surface who is not "flat" not at 0° or 90° but at 10° for example...

#1 ben, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
  2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Ben,

Here are my comments/answers...

1: Sorry but this is not possible. However, why not just make the entire pantograph + pipe (+ fixture) an Insertable? As you mention in your third point, the weight of New/"Custom" Library Objects is not accounted for anywhere anyway. In a near-future version, we will add the ability to define various weights on hang structures (cables, clamps, hanging hardware, etc., etc.) all of which will be tracked and accounted for in Reports.

2: Unfortunately, none of this is possible for the time being, not in WYSIWYG's current architecture.

3: You did not miss anything.. this was a feature that was only half-developed, a VERY long time ago (longer than I've been working at CAST, and it's been over fourteen years for me now), and it was not worked on ever again. (For the record though, to my recollection, you are the first person to ask about this, in all this time, so part of the reason why nothing more was done with it was because users didn't seem to have an interest in the feature.)

4: SketchUp Components are converted to Library Items by default, but this does not mean that you cannot explode them during import, and THEN turn them into New/"Custom" Library Items; this is what I suggest you do here. I can also tell you, though, that new features are coming in the near future which will allow for proper snapping to Library Objects. (Those who happened to attend the Pro Light & Sound tradeshow in Frankfurt earlier this month may have seen a preview of these features.)

5: We are hoping to introduce changes to Insertables in the near future, which will address many of their shortcomings.

6: Assuming you are referring to a kind of a "Paint" tool, perhaps like AutoCAD's matchprop command or Microsoft Office's Format Painter, yes, this is something that's on our list.

7: Not now, but this is also on our list of things to improve.

Hope this helps.. please let me know if you have any follow-up questions, etc.

Cheers,

Dany

3. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

I would like to vote for items 3, 5 and 7!
    As for item 6. Have you looked at the menu Managers>image manager yet?

4. ben

ben Active Member

thank you for the answer .
    I'm waiting for that, by this way, Wyg will stay in the center of the production process and not only a tool for light truss power...
    1. I like to put in wyg all the stuff who will be at the event such as video decor sound, and know the weight for all and the "vision" problem...
    2. So it will be cool to make a difference between library stuff such as speaker, stage or glass, because for now there is too much stuff in the library report...
    3. One more request : knowing the surface area in square meters in the surface property's .
    4. :)
      Ohh something else :
      The replace fixture for truss : replace truss :
      exemple: I draw my plots with ASD truss, and I've not enough truss, so I've to build the front truss in asd and the back truss in prolyte (for example) it will win o lot of time if I can select the back truss and use the "replace" truss option and select prolyte h30v ...
      Or when i draw , in order to be faster I often use 3m truss, but when the production time is arrived, I've to make plots with the good truss on it , and I've to juggle between my stock of 2 meters and 3 meters... so it will be useful to have the replace truss option ...

5. And last but not least , the possibility to change truss color in the truss manager...
    6. it wasn't the last... add a provider cell for fixture , truss , stage, speaker...

#4 ben, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  5. ben

ben Active Member

Hello I'm back !!! :)
    You look busy ... ;) Can you answer me or do you prefer I create a new post ? thank you

6. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, quite busy putting the finishing touches on R39, which is on track to be released within a few weeks.

Answers:

1&2: Interesting idea. I am not sure if this can be done, but I will add it to the list.

3. This should be coming in R40 (due in December), if not in R39.

4. Not possible for the time being, sorry.

5. This is already on the list, as per discussions about the feature in other threads on this Forum, and coming in the near future.

6. This is possible, but you can also use one of the three extra Notes columns for this purpose... just rename one of those columns to "Provider" via View Options, and ensure that it's set to be visible in Spreadsheets (DATA mode) and Reports (PRES mode). Is that sufficient? (If you need this often, just create a Template (i.e. .wyT file) with it and start new files from that Template.)

7. Jason Gardash

Jason Gardash Active Member

I had just been skimming this thread but with the last two Messages between Ben and Dany, I kind of see some interesting points here now.

The first and second Ideas I think is a good and valid idea. with account reps often coming whit the "what's the total weight value" I think A) an option to enter a weight to a library item (if not there) and B) The ability to assign it to the Positions segment then C) Calculate to give a truss line a weight total would be great.
    As Dany said, a bit of reworking but something plausible I think. I know for me when I hang an audio speaker or a projector to a truss line and the question is asked; I try to bounce it off the rigger, but they even come back to me sometimes as I did the drawing. so I work with the rigger and put an extra line in about rigging weights into my drawing printouts to cover my a$$. and add extra to the total.
    But I can see good use of this feature down the road.

#3 Would be handy. for me. stage coverage. or flooring. Not my number one need but I can see the handiness of this for people who interact with Event planners or Vivien users.

#4 I think this may be a tough one to add in. as it would involve rethinking how to replace / move entire lines of fixtures and or library items.
    BUT a replace truss item would be great. I've often had to redraw entire lines as truss had to be exchanged at last moment due to warehouse inventory. and not all crews are great at transiting from one type of truss to another or if like me. use the apex's as your quick spacer guide for one offs.

#5 Truss color. I just use layers myself for this option. make subgroup for rigging then use different color for each line or for length of truss. but having the ability to change it up in the truss manager I could see being handy. but again. if Layers are managed right could work it that way too.

#6 Provider Cell.. I may be lucky in that most rental houses in my area can provide in house but me personally. where a speaker or screen comes from not my concern. but if a group of truss was cross rented or a dozen fixtures were. it be handy to have note of it. but then I just as Dany said make a note of it and label it as x-rentals. so the workaround works for me. but I know some designers have bit of the Light Wright in them where it likes to label everything out for them.

Jay.

8. ben

ben Active Member

better said than me :) (one more time : sorry for my frenchglish)

I've just found a way with I lost less time : I use the truss manager and change the truss alias , but it works only if all the truss are changed . And Yes If it impossible to replace truss when they are fixtures on it , it would be great if we can replace truss when there is no fixture...

you are right but this request is older than the possibility to make subgroup in the layer... and because I'have a truss layer group with subgroup for truss position (in order make visible or not different position for the layout, because I don't like the plot section especially because if you build your plot and something change you have to update it and redo...

Because I work for a small company, I'm the designer, I'm the technical director so I draw for client presentation and after when we are at the show time, I draw for the technicians, an d i try to put all the needed informations such as provider , because they use truss from x provider at the wrong place, it will be maybe missed at other place, and when the show is over they have to know from where the stuff come to put in the right truck......

And
    I can use extra note only for fixture or I'm wrong ?

9. Stigrs87

Stigrs87 Member

So.. Did it get implemented in R39? The weight thing?
    I wanted to add the weight of my LEDscreens to a truss
    My workaround right now was to make a custom conventional and just type in the weight there.. but u know.. I need to make a new conventional for each different weight.

10. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

No, sorry, it did not. Additional "weight features" are being considered for R40 (due in December) but I do not yet know if they will be implemented.

Dany