1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Spec run through

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by roygbiv, Feb 6, 2015.

1. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

Hi guys

I'm helping out with spec'ing a desktop machine for at wysiwyg studio. The intention is to use it as a Wyg only machine, so the specs should fit your recommendations for a powerful machine.
    They have had a look at the http://cast-soft.com/tech-resource/view/wysiwyg-minimum-and-optimum-system-requirements page.

They have got an offer from an IT vendor (offer is about half a year old, and then the project was put on ice), but with some components, which I have doubt is very well suited for wyg. Maybe you can help me?

Lenovo ThinkStation S30 4352
    Xeon E5-1650 3.2GHz (6 cores)
    LGA2011 Socket
    Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2
    Cachememory: 12 MB
    Cache pr. processor: 12 MB
    8 GB RAM (installed) / 64 GB (max) - DDR3 SDRAM - ECC - 1600 MHz - PC3-12800 - I'm thinking 16GB?
    1 TB - SATA 3Gb/s
    SSD 128 GB - SATA 6Gb/s
    Graphics: Nvidia Quadro K2000 2GB - As I recall from previously asked questions in this topic, the Quadro cards is not the right choice for this application. However Nvidia GTX series is tested and recommended? correct? Any specific model you prefer?
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Edition

Thanks in advance :)
    Bo

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey Bo,

I strongly recommend that the IT vendor reads our Hardware Guide (www.cast-soft.com/wysiwyg/tip/view/selecting-hardware-for-a-wysiwyg-workstation) in order to learn why the system they specified here is inappropriate for WYSIWYG--in fact, it is "overkill", unless the client (i.e. the WYSIWYG user) plans to create dozens and dozens of renderings for every .wyg file, and even so, a Haswell-E processor will be much better (and potentially cheaper, depending on the selected model) than the XEON-E5. You are correct about the video card: go with a GTX card, ideally a 900-series; any of these will do, we have no preference--the more it costs the better it will perform.. it's really that simple, I apologize for being so blunt. :) As for the amount of RAM, 8GB is enough if this system is only going to be used for WYSIWYG--the explanation for this is also in our Hardware Guide.

Finally, the IT vendor may wish to read the following article in CPU Magazine, which talks about building what's likely one of the most powerful consumer-grade systems that can be built today, based around Intel's Core i7-5960X processor and the long-awaited X99 chipset: http://www.computerpoweruser.com/DigitalIssues/ComputerPowerUser/CP____1501__/... it starts on page 28, and it's actually worth reading the next few pages as well (to page 42) where each component is discussed in detail. The only change I would recommend to what the magazine specified is a true quad-channel DDR4 RAM kit.. since the system supports quad-channel architecture, it makes no sense whatsoever to not take advantage of it.

Should they have any more questions after reading all this, I would be more than happy to answer them.

Cheers,

Dany

3. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

Hi Dany

Thank you very much for your answer!
    That's a mean machine in the CPU magazine - I will probably not go that far, though :)

I might post what I assume is the final build for you to revise, who knows.

Have a good day!