1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Two VR headsets on one machine

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Floriaan, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

Is it possible to connect more than one VR headsets to one Wysiwyg computer? Provided of course that the graphical capabilities can cope (e.g. using two video cards or one with multiple outputs)

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey Floriaan,

My initial instinct here was to say 'no', because I didn't think the VR hardware itself would support this. However, a Google search reveals some answers which seem to indicate that it may be possible -- with the right PC hardware, of course (which obviously needs to be quite substantial). This is not something we have ever tried, nor can we at this time when we cannot go to the office to physically test. As such, we cannot recommend, endorse or support such a setup. In case you get a chance to try it before we do though, it would be great to learn what your experience was.

Cheers,

Dany

3. Floriaan

Well, my question is then: does wysiwyg provide the VR rendering engine with a spherical image, to be processed inside either the VR software or inside the glasses? Otherwise I would need two instances of Wysiwyg (meaning two licenses). I would like to show two people at once a set with live light cues played back by a console.

4. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Floriaan,

I checked with Soft. Dev. about this, and they said that to their knowledge WYSIWYG should not need any code changes to allow for this. However, this is not something they can confirm without physical access to the systems at the office -- and our office is closed by government order as you know. Therefore, what you already mentioned above -- using two separate systems -- is the only thing I can recommend; this will indeed require an additional dongle of course. There are a number of companies that rent these though, so you wouldn't have to purchase one just for your demo.

I hope you understand. This is pretty much all I can possibly say about all this.

Thanks,

Dany

5. Floriaan

No problem. I will borrow a second headset first before we buy.