1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Wacom tablet setup

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by sanderloonen, Dec 16, 2020.

1. sanderloonen

sanderloonen Active Member

Hi All,

I am trying to use a Wacom Intuos with Wyg.
    there seem to be a few strange things going on.

in CAD the right and left click seems to be inverted, or at least click doesnt work and right click selects.
    but I can not get the contextual menu to come up..
    in the layer manager I can not toggle the visibility nor the edit lock
    (I can select and change the active layer)
    in the scene manager I can not tick the select box for any layer to be included in the scene
    (but I can select and change the scene)

is this just me (again) or is there really something up?

thanks for any help,

Sander

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Really sorry Sander, but this is not something we've ever tested. As far as I know, tablets like that are not really meant to be used with CAD/3D modelling applications, but rather with software such as Photoshop where required actions are more naturally accomplished with a pen rather than a mouse/trackball/trackpad/pointer stick; posts such as this and this on other forums seem to confirm this. We do not have such hardware at CAST, so we cannot even attempt to replicate your experience -- and, given what I mentioned above, I do not think this is something we will acquire.

I apologize for not being able to help in this case. There is a chance, however, that someone HAS set this up and may be able to help you. Have you attempted to contact Wacom support about this? (If they are willing to work with you on the issue and need to run WYSIWYG, they may use the Demo.. I'm pretty sure they will not purchase a dongle for single test / debugging session.)

Good luck with this,

Dany

3. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

Hi, I have the same experience, trying to set up a Wacom tablet for a colleague of mine. I thought it was because I didn’t know the tablet very well, but it appears to be a common problem. These tablets are sold to work very well with CAD programs. Autocad works like a dream with those. A very good tool to prevent RSI. It would be great if you would look in to this. Could be a driver related issue (like still on the 3D connection mouses!!!! * One phone call, guys, one phone call!)

* When installing the 3D connection space mouse drivers, you have to dig in to the folders of these drivers of the mouse to delete the wysiwyg specific drivers that are provided by 3Dconnection, but actually prevent the 3D mouse from working correctly. This is the case for years already, does anyone care? Yes!

4. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for pointing that out, Floriaan. I will take this under consideration. I can tell you with almost absolute certainty though, that this is the first time this issue is being put forward in nearly eighteen years since I've been with CAST, supporting WYSIWYG.

As for the 3D mouse, you are correct, but I would like to point out that the procedure only needs to be performed once. That's not to say that this should not be addressed, of course -- it IS on my list.

5. sanderloonen

sanderloonen Active Member

Hi,

it is indeed a RSI carpal tunnel issue.....
    to many plans...

the tablet is working great with other software, also CAD.

to me it is very, very strange that it behaves differently from a mouse/trackball/trackpad at all.
    it is all HID. do they not all use the same HID libs?
    a teensy/arduino set up as a HID works fine. Why would a tablet be any different?

anyway, thanks Floriaan for pointing out that I am not a nut.

ciao

Sander

6. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi all,

I come back to this at long last. @sanderloonen, I'm not sure if you made any more progress with this -- if you did, please let me know.

We will not be able to do much with this until things with COVID start to settle and we can work from the office once more, but that may not be until the summer or even later. At that time, we will work as fast as possible to acquire a tablet, test and then schedule the necessary fixes. All this considered, I can tell you that the earliest we might be able to address this issue will be with R48, which is scheduled to be released at the end of this year. I know this is discouraging to read, but it is the best I can promise. Once again, I hope you understand..

Cheers,

Dany

7. shijiao

shijiao New Member

I want to use my XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro display graphics tablet with Wyg instead of mouse because RSI. does it okay?

8. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello shinjao,

Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing if such a device will work because we have not been able to do any work in this area so far. It is also not looking like we will be able to get to it this year / for R48.

If you wish to try it and report back here, I'm sure others will appreciate the information.

Regards,