1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

What's this function for part 1: Position tool

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks!' started by Floriaan, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

I have a few questions about functions, that are described perfectly well in the manual as for how to use them, but not why to use them.

My first question is about the position tool. So the question is simple: why would you use the Position tool?

From the manual:
    The Position Tool helps you determine the position of your selected object or objects in the Wireframe views of CAD mode, providing the precise coordinate reference numbers for the X, Y and Z axes.
    This is already visible in the lower right hand corner of the program window in the status area.

The Position Tool can be used to change the position of your selected object or objects by specifying new coordinate numbers for the X, Y and Z axes.
    This can already be achieved by using CTRL+M or clicking the move tool in the floating toolbar or clicking the move tool in the main toolbar or by using the Edit menu.

So why is this whole tool actually there?

2. sanderloonen

sanderloonen Active Member

Hi Floriaan,
    I use this quite a lot.
    for example,
    to move all the legs 1 mtr out. go to front view, select a side of stage and change the X value of all the selected items.
    same for booms, select the SR and SL boom and adjust the Y value.
    or in case of a raked stage the Z.

it actually lives above my layer side bar.

merry christmas,

Sander

Jesperspier likes this.
  3. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

So as I understand it it is basically a more limited way to move stuff around then the command line tools?

I personally always use CTRL+M and Enter to use the default basepoint of an object and then the options to move something to an absolute position, or a relative position or even to one or two of the coordinates absolute or relative, using the command line.
    0,0,5 to move the object to the absolute position 5 above the drawings origin.
    x,y,5 to keep it were it was but at a height of 5
    @0,0,5 to keep it where it was, but move it 5 higher
    @,,-5 to keep it where it was, but move it 5 lower.

4. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

As I just finished pointing out in reply to your other post, Floriaan, this is simply an alternate way to move objects. You happen to find it easy to use the command tools (as do I) but some users do not... they need an instant reference for where an object is located, in order to know where to move it, and they find it very easy to simply select the object, check where it is, and then hit CTRL+SHIFT+Y (for example) to jump into the Position Tool's Y field, type a new number, press <enter> (or <tab>) and have the object move to that position. (In case you are wondering, the tool was added based on many users' requests and feedback received during numerous training sessions.) Again though, just because it's there, does not mean you have to use it.

Jesperspier likes this.