1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Wyg freezes after hibernate

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by roygbiv, Apr 5, 2015.

1. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

Hi guys

Most of the time, I'm using wyg on my laptop, and hence I use Windows hibernation/sleep often.

Even with the dongle in the USB drive when I turn it on again, Wyg freezes and will not respond. I have to force it to close and then hope that I saved it.
    However most of the time, when I restart Wyg, the startup screen asks if it should recover from backup file.

Anyone else having the same issue?

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Bo,

We've been testing for this here, but have not been able to reproduce any such freezes so far. Also, to our recollection, no one has ever reported an issue like this before. A few questions:

- Is there a difference at all between Sleeping and Hibernating? (These are two different power states so they work differently, as explained at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface#Power_states.) What I mean is, does WYSIWYG freeze exactly the same, regardless of which power state you activate?)

- You indicate that this doesn't happen EVERY time you Sleep or Hibernate the laptop.. can you discern a pattern for when the freeze occurs and when it doesn't? Maybe it has something to do with the length of time the computer is in one of these power states? Or maybe it has something to do with what WYSIWYG is actually doing before you enable Sleep or Hibernate? (For example, does the freeze only occur when WYSIWYG is in a certain mode, perhaps Live mode (with a console connected and DMX streaming in) or maybe while a rendering is in progress?)

- If your computer supports Hybrid Sleep (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2011/05/10/10162728.aspx), would it be possible for you to enable this and check if WYSIWYG continues to freeze on wake-up? (Not that it's necessarily a good idea to use Hybrid Sleep on your laptop, as explained in the hyperlinked blog here, but it's worth the test.)

Looking forward to your reply,

Dany