1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Wysiwyg Machine Build

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks!' started by thedoctor, May 24, 2015.

1. thedoctor

thedoctor New Member

I am preparing to build a machine for wysiwyg and make the big purchase.

In the tips and tricks section of the website there is a section called Selecting Hardware for a WYSIWYG Workstation which states:

Using multiple video cards in one system via nVidia’s “SLIâ€￾ or AMD’s “CrossFireXâ€￾ technologies is supported by wysiwyg, but our benchmarking has only shown a 15-20% performance gain when using two cards of the same type in one system (versus using only one such card).

What does "supported by wysiwyg" mean? With modern graphics intensive games the game is programmed to take advantage of SLI. Is that what "supported by wysiwyg" means? Has wysiwyg been programmed to use SLI? The reason I ask is a GTX Titan X costs almost four times the price of the GTX 970. In most gaming benchmarks two GTX 970's OC'd and running in SLI will be pretty similar or better in results to the GTX Titan X (to be specific, in maximum fps, but not in lowest fps, which makes the GTX Titan X still a better choice if you can afford it) at a significantly lower cost. I am trying to gauge whether I need to go all out so to speak.

Most of the shows I design will use around 200-300 fixtures with lots of set pieces and I would like to use capture card and get my visuals onto some screens. I can't see within the next two years needing more than 500 fixtures in a single show. I want the strobe speeds to look correct and not lag too much when I have fixtures pointed toward the camera as I have seen it do on my friends machine. Will the GTX 970 oc'd cut it as a single card? Will I get a decent increase from SLI? 20% increase with two GTX970 in SLI might put it well ahead of a single GTX980 without costing much more.

Thank you!

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi,

The statement means that WYSIWYG works with SLI and/or CrossFireX technologies, while the "but" indicates that there is no special code within WYSIWYG that takes advantage thereof--or performance would be significantly higher when using them (as it is in games written to take advantage of it). Therefore, it is up to you to decide if a 15-20% increase in performance is worth the extra cost of such a setup; please don't forget the other requirements that such a setup demands: a (much-)more expensive motherboard that can truly support SLI/CrossFireX and a more powerful and therefore more expensive PSU. If your framerate with a GTX 970 is 15FPS, an average bump-up from SLI/CrossFireX might yield another 2-3FPS, but there is a good chance that with a GTX 980/980 Ti/Titan X you would get better performance to begin with, without the hardware overhead. In conclusion, my recommendation here is to go for the highest-end video card you can afford, and nevermind SLI/CrossFireX.

Regarding performance degradation when beams are pointing at the camera, I can tell you that performance will almost always be lower in such cases, because there's simply "more beam" for the video card to draw onto the screen--more pixels to fill; this is a fundamental law of computer graphics that I am sure you are aware of (and that will likely not change for some time): an increase in quality or quantity means lower performance. We are working to make improvements to this (look for some in the upcoming Release 35 (due by the end of June 2015), and then, hopefully, more significant ones in Release 36) but, again, performance will always be lower when beams are pointing at the camera. I

n order to ensure that you get the best possible performance with any .wyg file, it is extremely important to ensure that it is as optimized as possible, as described in the following thread: http://forums.cast-soft.com/index.p...ptimization-and-file-efficiency.283/#post-737. Finally, it is also important to ensure that the settings in WYSIWYG and the options on your video card are set correctly, as described in the following tip: http://www.cast-soft.com/wysiwyg/tip/view/improving-performance-in-shaded-view.

Cheers,

Dany

#2 Dany, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2016