1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Converting a line to a Pipe

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by AJ Layton, Mar 9, 2017.

1. AJ Layton

AJ Layton New Member

Hey everybody, thanks in advance for your help!

So I've been working on importing and cleaning up a vectorworks file, and I'm ready to start hanging fixtures.

The problem I'm running into now is that the 'pipes' from vectorworks imported as lines, and I can't figure out how to switch them to pipes so I can use them as hang structures. Is there a trick to do this or do I have to measure the scrim height and draw new pipes over top of the lines?

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

You must mean TRIM height..

Anyway, the answer is in the manual.

3. AJ Layton

AJ Layton New Member

Yes, typo. I've looked for it in the manual but can't seem to find it. Can you point me in the right direction? I've been looking in the pipes and hang structures section..

4. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Tools menu.

5. AJ Layton

AJ Layton New Member

Oh ok, sorry I missed that.

I found the conversion tool, but pretty much everything is greyed out. Maybe it is too complex?

EDIT:
    I figured out that I can break the solid up into lines, but then it just becomes a mess with finding a good line to base the pipe off of. Is the best solution just to draw new ones?

Attached Files:

• Pipe.PNG
      Pipe.PNG
      File size:
      129.4 KB
      Views:
    #5 AJ Layton, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  6. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

In this case, yes. (WYSIWYG does not use unnecessary extra geometry to represent something as simple as a Pipe in a Wireframe. A line is considered to be sufficient to "get the idea across", especially since that line is represented with "thickness" (in Wireframes) to indicate that it is indeed a Pipe, and does appear as a cylinder in Shaded views.) So yes, you will have to draw the Pipes yourself.. I suggest using Interactive (drawing) Mode to do this (which is also described in the manual).. hopefully, the pipe objects that you got from VW are proper cylinders, so you can Centre-Snap to their ends when drawing the Pipe objects.

Good luck!

Dany