1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Swag drapes?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks!' started by Mr. White, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Mr. White

Mr. White New Member

I am thinking about doing a set for a client that has a bit of drapery. Wondering if anyone has a tip for creating drapes and being able to make them look paged, pinched and so on.

Thanks in advance.

2. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

For m,e drapery is mostly done with surfaces or risers with a draper texture. If you are to make drapes like this, if will be a very heavy task in terms of curly surfaces and costum set pieces:
    https://goo.gl/images/p6wzZt

Even if you are using extruded half circles the line count goes through the roof very fast.

Importing from Sketchup/Blender/... might be a fairly easy way, but it will still make your drawings very heavy in terms of objects:
    for example: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/310e58c2-7fe8-40e5-b9b3-97487d8b8b47/Drapery-side-panels

3. Mr. White

Mr. White New Member

That is pretty much what I was thinking. Wasn't sure if anyone found a work around for the amount of time it would take for that. I am probably going to find some good images and just layer surfaces for the quick renders. Not really what I was hoping for though.

Thanks for your input.

4. Firebrand

Firebrand Member

i usually have an image saved that i use to texture my drapes, often a photo i took of the actual drapes to be used, and added that to my image manager
    It works well for visuals, and using a surface, you can always create the wavy line curtain look on your plans of you need to under "properties" > "surface" > check "enable"

Or just use the stock drape textures, and play with the tiling (making the tile the height of the drape, and play around with the width, depending on gather and the desired look, etc...)

Hope that helps :)

Awapuni Silks White Drapes.jpg Comparison 2.jpg