1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Windows 64 bit

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by Floriaan, May 24, 2018.

1. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

Is there any chance of Wyswiyg becoming a 64 bit application anytime soon? I notice that, while my projects grow and also the opportunity to import larger models is getting better, I get these "WYG Out of Memory"-messages more often. This happens long before my computer is actually out of memory (I have 16 GB installed) and according to the Task manager it is only about 50% used. This could be great for the main app and the background rendering engine.

Jesperspier and mldekker like this.
  2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Thank you for bringing this up, Floriaan. We are currently/actively pursuing converting WYSIWYG (and Vivien) to 64bit. We’ve made significant progress, but we’ve still got a way to go. It is difficult to put an estimate on this kind of work, as there could be some unforeseen challenges ahead of us still, but we are targeting it for the end of 2018. All going well, this means R42 may be 64bit; otherwise it will be R43.

A 64bit version will indeed allow WYSIWYG to access more memory (than the current maximum of 4GB—please see the Memory section of our Hardware Guide for more information about this) and yes, this will help with importing larger/more complex 3D models without running into memory issues. However, it will still and most definitely be possible to run into situations where even though a such model imports, performance is (still) affected as a result (just like it would be in the current, 32bit version). Therefore, we will continue to recommend optimizing models in order to maintain proper performance.

We will post progress updates regarding the conversion to 64bit project here, as they become available. At the same time, we welcome any questions or comments you may have.

Cheers,

Dany

Jesperspier likes this.
  3. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

I was running into this issue, where almost no more polygons could be missed without affecting the actual shape of the objects. It is the lighting project for a large hotel, so I needed the whole facade plus the artwork in front of it. I couldn't get it done, so in the end I reverted to the good old Photoshop. I'd love to share some of this with your team, to discuss what I could have done better, as soon as the embargo is lifted for the project.

4. Jason Gardash

Jason Gardash Active Member

Glad Dany made comment on this. I heard about it a few weeks ago. and I look forward to seeing this mature and released.
    I think I asked Dany and Dino but forget if I did. but will there be some looking into opening the cores a bit with 64bit so we are not locked to one core. This is something I noticed when the file is large and begin to slow down while pre vis'ing.

there was so much info that day lol.

Jason.

5. Michael-Lamusse

Michael-Lamusse New Member

Has there been any update on changing to a 64 bit system.
    I am drawing a festival and am frequently running into "loss of memory" error

6. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, R43 is 64-bit. It was launched in October, 2019, but if if your dongle's Membership Expiry Date is June, 2019 or later, or if you have an active Lease, you are entitled to R43. You may download the installer for it from the Members Only Area of our website.

7. Jason Gardash

R43 is now 64bit.
    If you are not on the current release I would download it or upgrade your subscription to gain access to R43.
    It should improve your loss of memory issue however it could also depend on the file itself and need to clean up the optimizing part of the file.

Jason.

8. Michael-Lamusse

Michael-Lamusse New Member

Apologies, I meant is there any news on Vivien changing to 64-bit

9. Jason Gardash

Good question, Never really thought about Vivien, guess we all been focused on wysiwyg.
    My guess is once the Wysiwyg is considered Stable in 64bit they may focus on Vivien. But that's a Cast soft response not mine to make.

Jason.

10. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Vivien 2020, coming in January 2020, will be 64-bit.

11. Jason Gardash

:)