1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Wyg requests or things I might not have sussed yet!

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Fulgor, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Fulgor

Fulgor New Member

Hi

I'm running R32 and loving it...but the odd thought does pop up from time to time, so here's the list so far.

1. If I set up a riser to have dynamic colour control / intensity control, I want to then refer to it as a fixture, so I can put it into the fixture groups list.
    2. Venues with one wing greater than the other is always a fudge. Can we have measurements from the centreline?
    3. When you enter details in the production Team wizard, can we have a layout that includes every valid entry.
    4. When I click on Export to image, I'm sick of changing from the default PNG setting. I want Jpeg every time. How?
    5. Images on curved surfaces please!
    6. In Design, Mac Viper Profile Efects Wheel does not behave like the other 2. Does not leave selected image in the window.
    7. Toolbar click for toggling "Show beams for selected fixtures"
    8. When using cuts and adjustments tool, instead of disabling feature for more than one fixture selected, if more than one of the same type of fixture is selected, allow common parameters to be adjusted, like beam width.
    9. Can we have the ability to print plan with the floorplan shown.
    10. Newton 1200. Why no control of beam size and iris?
    11. Scale Option in Layout Title Block please!
    12. Symbol for Drapes, a wavy line please.
    13. If I select a bunch of chairs where's the count?
    14. Unextrude button please to work at any time.
    15. Sometimes I need a basic fitting with the DMX chart in the correct order, usually it's an LED fitting. I want to be able to look at fixture library and see channel data in the library etc rather than have to make a shortcut and rig it and see properties.
    16. When adding a focus point, I want to specify the layer to put the point on, how do I do this once so I don't have to re enter it every time?
    17. Why can't I select all Truss esp floaters?
    18. When merging files why doesn't it merge the shortcuts too??
    19. Thomas 4 Lite Par 36. Count in Pres / Reports/Instrument count shows incorrect (number of circuits) not fixture count.

That's about it for now...I'm sure there are loads more..

David

2. Dino

Dino Dino Mazza | VP, Product | CAST Software

Hi David,

Great to hear you are loving R32!

Feedback is always welcomed and thanks for submitting your 19 wish list items for WYG. I'll read over them and may have some comments back for you after I do.

Cheers,
    Dino

3. Bhagat

Bhagat Member

If I were to make a list, first and foremost item would be, in capitals, the abilty to change the overall orientation in Wyg to that what one has when sitting in foh, instead of the 180 degree 'wrong' Sl/Sr way like it is now.

Bhagat

4. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

Hi Bhagat

If I understand your question correct ...can't you just unlock all layers, select your full document and rotate it?

Bo

5. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

A lot of good points here :) the drapes wavy line is a no-brainer - good idea!

A few inputs from me:
    1. The ability to save renderings automatically to whatever format I want - an image doesn't take up too much space, so why not export the images straight away, even if the rendering looks terrible?
    2. When I right click in the CAD window, the icon in the down 2nd to right corner of the "sub/quick" properties shows the icon for revolving, but is actually "Bring to Front" as the tooltip says.
    3. My colleague and I tried to make a "stock template" of our warehouses, meaning we inserted all of our fixtures in the flight case with spot numbers. However, we found no option to filter and sort the lamps. The unit number seems to take presedence, and that was, for us at least, completely useless. Our current workaround is to Unhang them in the order we wanted them, but it is not very flexible, when you want to update the stock or find a specific fixture.
    What we actually are asking for, is to not use the flightcase, but to create our own costum libraries, so we don't need to search and scroll through the library manager/flightcase or make shortcuts, which relatively fast gets quite unmanageble.
    The costum library is then fixtures/truss/furniture that we actually HAVE, not all fixtures ever created.
    4. Not too long (maybe R32) ago you added the curved pipes function. -any chance you could add a generic curved truss tool?
    5. Macro buttons! If I'm suppose to do the same procedure a lot of times, but can't use the "last command button" (space), I would love the ability to do macros.

That's it for now :)
    Bo

6. Fulgor

Fulgor New Member

​Keep 'em coming!!

7. Bhagat

Bhagat Member

Hi Roy,

I've added a litlle drawing, in wich will illustrate what I mean. I've drawn a pipe,and hung a few pars on it. The numbers you see, are the unit numbers. When I copy/paste rotate the pipe, the unitnumbers keep the "wrong orientation". I would like to change that.

Bhagat

Attached Files:

8. Josh

Josh Super Moderator

Hello Bhagat,

What you are looking for can be accomplished by toggling the Auto-Position and/or Auto-Rotate options for the Label Position as described on page 313 of the WYSIWYG R32 Reference Guide.

9. Fulgor

Fulgor New Member

Here's a few more.

When I'm working on a tour, putting the same show into different venues, there are chunks of information that I want to import from other files, like I want to import just the Production Team Info, or the toolbar shortcuts, or Presentation layouts, or Render Wizard settings.... How awesome would it be to import just that information (and nothing else)..?

If I alter the layout of a fixture, I often make the same changes on every gig for that fixture. What about the option to save that edited layout at library level, so every time I use that fixture for ever more, it comes back with the same layout? Also the ability to reset that layout back to the original library if needs be.

David

10. Bhagat

Bhagat Member

Hi Josh,
    You did notice that unit 1 has become unit 6? Also, I inserted the pars from left to right on the upper pipe, as seen onscreen. One would expect the pars to be unit 1-6 then, but become, and remain 6-1, wether I rotate the pipe or not. This is the same for the distances of the spot on the pipe as well. I would not know of a way to change this, imho unwanted, behaviour.

Bhagat

#10 Bhagat, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
  11. Josh

Josh Super Moderator

Hello Bhagat,

By default, WYSIWYG will always assign unit numbers to fixtures in ascending order starting from the right hand side of a pipe. In order to maintain this uniformity, WYSIWYG will re-number the fixtures as pipes are moved, copied, rotated, etc. If you wish to disable this feature, you can do so by disabling Auto Unit in the Object Settings tab under Show options. If Auto Unit is disabled no unit numbers will be assigned to the fixtures by default, but you can assign them yourself using either the Data mode Spreadsheet or the Quick Tools.

My apologies but I do not understand what you mean by the "distance of the spot on the pipe."

12. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

The distance between each fixture can also be changed - as far as I recall the default distance between the center of each fixture is around 0,45m - can be changed in one of the settings menus.

13. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi David.

Interesting idea.. are you picturing a special "save as" dialog, which would list every possible "component" or "part" of a .wyg file (there would probably be several dozen, maybe more) with a checkbox next to it, allowing you to select what to save? I am not sure how else you would be able to specify the specific things to save out...

This is already possible (and has been, since WYSIWYG 3.5), by making those changes at the "Application Level" as described in the Fixture Label Layout section of the WYSIWYG Reference Guide (starting on page 310 of the current WYSIWYG Release 32 Reference Guide). Such changes may be saved to WYSIWYG User Data Files and transferred to other/future WYSIWYG installations, including future versions (so once you make them, you never have to make them again); for more information on using .WUD files (beyond what's in the Reference Guide), please see the following article: http://www.cast-soft.com/wysiwyg/tip/view/working-with-user-data-files-in-wysiwyg-release-26.

This too, is possible.. please simply click the Reset All button in the Edit Fixture Attributes Layout window...

EFAL_Reset.jpg

Thanks,

Dany

14. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

More ideas :)

6. The ability to change the anchor point in the Set Pieces created from e.g. two subtracted elements.
    An example (that I just messed with) is doing stage elements (risers) in 1x1 and 2x1m sections. Then I need to do a 1x1 triangular scenic element, so I rotate a 2x1m riser 45deg and placing it on a 1x1 riser and subtracting one from the other... The resulting Set Piece has Anchor Point in the middle of the element. Because my default missing coordinate is 0,0,0 the copy of the element (if I need more triangles) will end up half way down the floor.

6½. Set Pieces cannot snap in other than the Anchor Point. In the example with the stage, I can't do an Endpoint Snap from the triangular Set Piece. -I was surprised, that that was the case. -Am I missing something?

7. Apparent intersection snap. Sometimes when messing with lines in different heights and angles, a nice shortcut would be an apparent intersection snap. Not sure how the missing coordinate in the 3D space could be decided, --if it should be the "closest to screen" line/element or the missing coordinate (Tab popup).

8. The quality of the shaded view in R32 is great - and rendering is relatively rarely used (by me at least). Often, it's enough for me to make screen shots of the Shaded View. I usually put in a lot of cameras, so I would like the possibility to make screenshots for all cameras at the same time. -would be awesome if a desk is connected, to capture "in air" effects or similar.
    In some projects I polar array an amount of cameras with the same field angle to make a panorama, in that regard it would be awesome to have the screenshot done at all cameras at the same time.

More will probably follow - I hope all our fantastic requests is taken into account ;) -or we will stand corrected by Dany and Josh who will tell us that all the features are already in the program ;)

#14 roygbiv, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
  15. Dino

Hi David,
    Since this long list can be grouped into categories, I'll respond in separate posts, grouping similar items together...
    This posting is for all items you listed related to the Library...

6.In Design, Mac Viper Profile Effects Wheel does not behave like the other 2. Does not leave selected image in the window.
    >> Thanks for sending. This sounds like something that is missing in the library model. We'll investigate.

10.Newton 1200. Why no control of beam size and iris?
    >> This is an older fixture and it seems like the fixture profile is missing some attributes. It can be fixed by updating the library model.

19.Thomas 4 Lite Par 36. Count in Pres / Reports/Instrument count shows incorrect (number of circuits) not fixture count.
    >> OK, we can create another fixture profile for the 4 circuit version of this fixture. Are there more variations of this fixture besides the 2 and 4 circuit models?

16. Dino

David,
    The items listed below are already possible to do in WYSIWYG. I've described the way to do it under each point. Please let me know if I've interpreted your points correctly or not. Hope this helps.

2.Venues with one wing greater than the other is always a fudge. Can we have measurements from the centreline?
    >> Wouldn’t this be resolved for you if you use the new Linear Scale dimension object (found in CAD mode, under the Draw > Dimensions > Linear Scale added in R32), and you can have it measure whatever distance you would like to display on your plot.

11.Scale Option in Layout Title Block please!
    >> The Title Block already has a Scale option. There is a number in it’s properties, (I believe it’s on the second tab and Scale is disabled because Autofit is on by default.). Try to change this value by unchecking the “Use Autofit†checkbox just below it, and then set Scale value as you wish.

13.If I select a bunch of chairs where's the count?
    >> Look down in the status bar, beside FIXT: (fixture) and CKT: (circuit) is OBJ: (for Objects) and if you select chairs in your CAD, the number selected would appear there.

15.Sometimes I need a basic fitting with the DMX chart in the correct order, usually it's an LED fitting. I want to be able to look at fixture library and see channel data in the library etc rather than have to make a shortcut and rig it and see properties.
    >> A fixture's channel list if available in the properties of the fixture. You can see this without inserting the fixture, on the "Options" tab. Your other option if fixture is inserted is to refer to the Patch tab (or have it open in a popup window). (Maybe I have misunderstood your point, please let me know).

16.When adding a focus point, I want to specify the layer to put the point on, how do I do this once so I don't have to re enter it every time?
    >> Focus Points are treated like Focus Lines and Arcs, and by default they all go on the Focus layer automatically, unless you specify different. Once you set the preferred layer in the dialog, it remembers the layer you selected in the dropdown all subsequent times you draw a focus object. This was added in R31, and I believe it’s a very convenient way to specify your preferred layer for focus objects.

18.When merging files why doesn't it merge the shortcuts too??
    >> When merging in a file, WYG asks me if I’d like to include shortcuts for the merge (look for the checkbox “Ignore Shortcut†in the dialog that appears. It is by default checked so shortcuts are not included, because in many cases you do not want a shortcut merged in but instead just the geometry. Just uncheck this option, and merge in your file.

17. Dino

David,
    Great suggestions, thanks for sending in. These all sound like great ideas, and some of these are already on our list of features we plan to add in the future. And the new ones you suggested have been added.

1.If I set up a riser to have dynamic colour control / intensity control, I want to then refer to it as a fixture, so I can put it into the fixture groups list.
    >> That’s a great suggestion. We also have this one on our list of improvements, along with enabling Light Emitting objects to be selectable in DESIGN mode, and to work with the Color Designer Tool.

4.When I click on Export to image, I'm sick of changing from the default PNG setting. I want Jpeg every time. How?
    >> This sounds like a simple thing to fix… WYG should just remember what your last setting in this dialog was and show it the next time.

5.Images on curved surfaces please!
    >> Definitely. Curved surfaces and texturing them is an area we'd like to improve soon.

8.When using cuts and adjustments tool, instead of disabling feature for more than one fixture selected, if more than one of the same type of fixture is selected, allow common parameters to be adjusted, like beam width.
    >> Yes, agreed. We enhanced the Cuts and Adjustments tool in R32 allowing parameters such as pan, tilt, and spin, and changing lens, lamp, focus position to be editted on multiple fixture when they are of the same type, e.g. Source 4. But I agree with you that beam width should also be editable when a Fresnel or PARnel fixture is selected to control beam width (spot vs flood). We've added this enhancement to our list.

12.Symbol for Drapes, a wavy line please.
    >> Nice suggestion. We could add a drape representation which is a wavy line, just like "dashed line" representations for lines. The surface would remain as is for performance purposes.

18. Dino

David,
    These items are the ones which require more discussion, either to get more info from you, or because the initial idea is not so simple to do and perhaps there are possibly easier alternatives to consider...

3.When you enter details in the Production Team Wizard, can we have a layout that includes every valid entry.
    >> It sounds like you’d want the Title Block to automatically display these details you are referring to that were added by user in the Production Team Wizard. Since the title block is a worksheet, this suggestion would require a dynamic worksheet to be create based on the user’s entries, that would update the size of title block and smart cells (depending on user’s inputs in the production team wizard). The infrastructure to do this would not be that simple.
    We can create some new default worksheets with the most common entries, and hopefully this will simplify this for you and others too. If you and other users on the forum want to send in entries you commonly use, we can add them to the defaults, and perhaps make them more accessible in the options.

7.Toolbar click for toggling "Show beams for selected fixtures"
    >> I’m guessing this is not for CAD mode, as it works this way already, so it must be for DESIGN and LIVE? Are you suggesting that when this option is available on the toolbar and ON, just selecting a fixture would turn its intensity on to 100% without clicking on the Intensity Designer tool, and then we you deselect the fixture, the beam turns off?

14.Unextrude button please to work at any time.
    >> Unextrude, this is the first time I hear of this idea, and it would require some investigation on our end to see if it is something we can do or not in our CAD. Just an idea for you... If the extrude feature automatically retained the original line (which is an option when you perform the Extrude through the Select option) would this be a better default for this feature in your opinion, and make the Unextrude feature less necessary for you?

17.Why can't I select all Truss esp floaters?
    >> It sounds like you'd like truss objects listed in the right-click menu like there currently is for Fixtures and Library Objects. The challenge with this one will be that once a truss structure is assembled, all truss objects are grouped, and what you are requesting would require selecting certain objects within a group. This will require some investigation. For Floaters, since they are not assembled truss pieces, this shouldn't be a problem.

19. Fulgor

Fulgor New Member

Doh!

​Many thanks Dino...

20. Bhagat

Bhagat Member

Hi Josh,

Just like the units, it is not possible to tell wyg to measure distance between spots from left to right, or any point of my choosing. In data all distances are from right to left, even when a pipe is mirrored. I understand about the default, hence my question to be able to change it. It would save me a lot of extra work.
    Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of wyg, but every new release I hope that one can tell wyg in one click that one wants everything to be counted and measured from left to right, top to bottom etc or reverse, as the situation suits.