1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

[FR] Convert arc to curved pipe

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Floriaan, May 10, 2019.

1. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

Would it be possible to add the possibility to create a curved pipe out of an arc or spline?

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Heh.. I'm actually surprised we didn't do that already. It should be, and I'll add it to the list.

3. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

Well, it appears to be dependant of the original. Some arc result into one curved pipe, others result in several shorter ones. I am not sure what the difference in the original cad drawing is. If I come across another one that doesn’t work, I’ll send it in through tech support.

4. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Heh... lesson learned: check before answering. :) (That was for myself, of course.)

Yes, the option is there (hence my surprise earlier). I actually just checked through our support logs and in the past 3-4 years since we added Curved Pipes, no one has ever reported that they were unable to Convert a Circular or Elliptical Arc into a Pipe, so yes, if you can provide an example file for this, we'll be glad to fix whatever may be wrong.

Thanks!

Dany

P.S. Note that Circles nor Ellipses cannot be Converted into Pipes -- because WYISYWYG Pipes require a start point and an end point, and these objects have neither. (This cannot and will not change.) To work around this, you may Break a Circle or an Ellipse into Arcs, and then Convert those Arcs into Pipes; furthermore, to make using the resulting Curved Pipes easier, you may Group them and assign the same Position Names to them -- for obvious reasons; note that the Unit numbers assigned by AutoUnit will likely be inadequate, which is normal, but you can use QuickTools to correct them.

5. DrewAVM

DrewAVM Member

For a “circular” pipe I usually make an arc with the correct radius and set it to 359 degrees. Once converted to a pipe you can array fixtures around it etc as you would expect. Just need to line up the 1degree missing segment somewhere it won’t affect you too much.

6. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

That is indeed the only workaround for the time being.