1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Every light on the floor

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Joe, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Joe

Joe Member

Hey there WYG people. Ask Dino why it is that I can take any lighting fixture in the real world out of a box and put it on the floor but I can't do that in wyg. =) If you REALLY want to be the what you see is what you get company then lets abolish needing to place a 1' pipe on the floor. Let anything go on the floor.

2. Jason Gardash

Jason Gardash Active Member

Well to be fair you can use a floater piece which was the way to lay parcan down back when, or use a 1" pipe and not a 1' pipe. and several fixtures even have a place on floor option.

Wysiwyg has the largest and most complete fixture library out there of ANY lighting program. With this comes a few versions of how the lighting fixture dataebase was formed. so switching it to all have a 'place on floor' option would entail time which with current work arounds will just take away from other feature updates and works just fine.

Wysiwyg is also one of the few apps which is still controled by a Library department, which I kind of like. even I wish from time to time of user ability to create fixtures, but when you think about it, that would turn into a GDTF senmairo and we all know how that's turning out. can't trust any of them.

Finally if you really like to ask for a request of any sort the best way is to email either Dany (Dino has many different programs to keep up on) directly or via the techsupport email and if a fixture request the library email. it will be looked at in a much faster timeperiod and lead to less agervation of thinking your not heard. and you will be heard as they do read and discuss almost all request that comes by them even ones in emails in a passing comment.

I always found this group better suited for bring up questions like Would it be great to have contour pulling or pushing in the cad section or fulll pbr image intergration into item objects. How about Do others think the File structure and forward and back buttons should be intergrated into Wyg a little more deeply i.e. the ability to use standard explorer directory creation for things like custom library instead of typing in custom\folder or ability to use the forward and back buttons inside the fixture libray when looking for a fixture. The ability to open or save in a folder within a folder such as when saving Insertables. i.e. save to an insertable folder then have folders to sort the created files. like insertable\setpieces or insertable\wall flats insertable\table placements insertable\fixtures on floaters ;)

Floriaan likes this.
  3. Joe

Joe Member

You sound so smart. It literally takes 10 mins to export a place on floor option for a fixture as I have received them and added them to the library to enable this function for individual fixtures before. SImply enabling this function for everything in the library past presnt and future is what needs to happen. Pipes on floor which then need to be assigned "Floor" hang structure in order for paperwork to be lined up correctly and then throws off the total pipe count in the show reports is Ludacris in 2021.

GDTF is the future.

4. Jason Gardash

Great thing with the side shortcut pane, Can leave a 'floater' link in the truss section and grab it quickly, then place your fixture on it and copy and paste as needed literally seconds to do.
    The pipe count issue I agree with. floaters I don't worry as much as set guys always need shims on site ;)

Do I agree with you that all the fixtures need to have a insert on floor option? Sure.
    Do I think it should hold up development for new things to Wysiwyg? No I rather have new features than fixtures I may never touch with a insert on floor. However if it comes in sections over a few years sure, makes the program stronger but not essential.

GDTF well each has their own views. MVR is the future, GDTF is just a pipe dream currently. Unless companies are willing to do their back catalogue of fixtures and keep current fixtures up to date, it really is just the same as a fixture without a 'insert on floor' option and we all know how much that has pissed you off ;)

5. Joe

Joe Member

It doesn't piss me off as much as objects literally being bound to and the color of the layer they are supposed to be in and yet having them stuck in some other layer that's locked as well and then trying to figure out why you can't select them and what layer they "Ghost" bound to so you can reassign them to the layer they are actually double linked from... But that's another issue entirely.

6. Jason Gardash

Oh that annoys me as well. A layer finder be nice.
    I know it's tied into the layer grouping setting. I just never looked into it. Just grumbled thru finding and fixing it.

and I don't think I ever really brought it up with Dany or Dino before.
    I'll write that one down to ask when I talk to them next.

Knowing Dany he will have a 'Oh just do this and it solve that' response. what happens when you skip reading release notes or simply just forget stuff.

7. Joe

Joe Member

Back to this one. I STILL can walk out into my shop and grab a laser and put it on the floor yet in WYG I have to create a stupid pipe as the "Insert on floor" option is not allowed. Wyg wont even let you put a B-Eye K20 on the floor!

Every fixture should be allowed on the floor.